Cultural Communication
Here's a story that will make you laugh! When I was working in Alabama, I was in an office with a young lady who is an Alabama native. She had very thick southern accent and used southern slang so often that I didn't know what she was talking about at all! Sometimes I had to have her spell the words for me! Don't be offended - we both laughed about it a lot. I soon was used to her slang and her accent - without our local interpreter! Truth! Someone in the office used to tell me what she said all the time. It was literally gut-busting funny. However, I respected her language and slang enough to learn it so that I could 'speak her language.' I think that's what made our work relationship so much fun. Neither of us tried to change the other, we accepted our differences and became great friends.
Meaning: Miscommunications:
When I worked in Atlanta, I would get very upset and offended when I was called sweetie or sugar, honey, etc. Coming from California I had a very different view of how people were addressed and these terms were known as degrading to women. I had to take a couple of steps back and realize that this is the way the south addresses everyone and it is not meant to degrade. I also had to get used to the very relaxed lifestyle of the south. You just don't run into a grocery store and 'grab-n-go.' No, you socialize, talk, chat - take a breath! So much for the laid-back California style - it is nothing like the south!
You know what they say... when in Rome ;-)
How about you - any stories about your adventures in languag and communication with other cultures?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment