Friday, April 20, 2007

Avatar Communications

  1. When communicating through your avatar, do you feel less inhibited and more free to say what's really on your mind? Does the anonymity that an avatar provides make you more comfortable?
    a. I do feel a little more free with the Avatar that I would otherwise. However, I'm not one who is too intimidated anyway...
  2. How does it feel to communicate with others using your avatar? Do you feel authentic, or is your avatar a "character" for you?
    a. I do feel that the Avatar is a character; however, most folks will create the Avatar in the image that they either see themselves or wish to see themselves. Mine is representative of who I am.
  3. Do you identify with your avatar? Do you feel as though it's an extension of you? Why / why not?
    a. I definitely identify with my Avatar as I trained in martial arts for 10 years, I live near the beach and take my beautiful black lab to dog beach a lot. I don't think it is an extension of me or who I am; I am much more than an animated version of self.
  4. What, in your opinion, is the value of having an avatar (if any) and why do you think they're becoming so popular in the world of online communication?
    a. The value of the Avatar is that it allows you to communicate without inhibitions, you are free to express yourself in ways you would not in person. You can be anything or anyone that you want - even an animal! They are popular because they are fun and a virtual 'mask

No comments: