Friday, April 13, 2007

Comm - Chapter 3

I was very interested in the Pygmalion effect from The People - self-fulfilling prophecy.

The idea is that you will see what you want to see - the way you treat others will affect the way they respond to you. We could get very philosophical with this one! I remember the adage "you life is what you make it to be." It is also true in the way we perceive others. I have kind of a Pollyanna view of the world, I see everyone as a friend without any faults, and they are honest and kind until proven otherwise! Like I stated in my last blog - the only one that I found to be dishonest - I divorced! lol!

Oops - I digress...

Here's an experiment: Go to work and be totally different that you normally might be. If you're structured and a work-aholic (like me), try going to work business-casual, if you can, go out to lunch instead of working at your desk and smile at everyone you see and meet - make an effort to say hi to everyone. When you enter into an elevator - don't stare at the door or the numbers over the door, stand and look at the back of the elevator at all the people and just smile.

How does this change the way you feel about others?
How did this change the way others view you?
Let me know how this works for you... :-)

2 comments:

100thfallen said...

Instead of concentrating on the negatives, the experiment causes individuals to alter behaviors. People are then seen and approached in a positive way.

100thfallen said...

Does anyone else care to elaborate?