Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Comm - Chapter 15

Designing and Organizing a Speech
I believe that I touched upon this a little in an earlier chapter. However, allow me to elaborate on the importance of structuring your speech.

Sally road her bike home from school. Mrs. Williams, Sally’s teacher, gave her a gold star for homework well done. Timmy and Johnny played tether ball during recess. The entire class stood to recite the pledge of allegiance. Sarah’s mom drove her to school and dropped her off.

The above paragraph, albeit very poorly written, doesn’t make sense does it? How about:

Sarah’s mom drove her to school and dropped her off. The entire class stood to recite the pledge of allegiance. Mrs. Williams, Sally’s teacher, gave her a gold star for homework well done. Timmy and Johnny played tether ball during recess. Sally road her bike home from school.

Although it’s still not very well written, at least it makes better sense. Your presentation should appear the same as the second story, in order chronologically and in order of content: Introduction, what you will be presenting, your presentation, your conclusion and summary.

I like to write very simple outlines for my presentations and then start elaborating until I have a complete speech written. Example:

  • How to run an affective Meeting
  • Venue
  • Audio/Video equipment
  • Selecting Participants
  • Developing Agendas
  • Opening the meeting
  • Establishing ground rules
  • Time management
  • Evaluating your meeting
  • Closing

From this outline I will start to write a little more on each topic, present a PPT with bullets add notes and prepare a paper to disseminate, if needed. Notice that the presentation also has a chronological timeline as well from beginning of the meeting to closing. Taking these steps to organize thoughts and presentations has provided me the opportunity to find gaps in my presentation.

Organization, structure and communication are all key to providing a good speech.

No comments: