Thursday, April 26, 2007

Comm - Chapter 17

Informative Speaking

The purpose of informative speaking is to provide interesting, useful and/or unique information. The point is to provide a speech that is appealing to your audience.


Major types of speeches:

  • Objects: People, places, animals or products
  • Processes: "how to" perform a process
  • Events: Things that are happening did happen or will happen
  • Concepts: Beliefs, Ideas or Theories
Gather information on your topic, the more you know, the more that you will be viewed as an expert on the subject. Also, know your audience, gearing your topic to your audience is key. If you are speaking on the topic of Koalas you would have a much different speech to Zoological Society members than that of a Kindergarten class.

Organize your information
I like to create an bullet point outline for my speeches. I will also list the who, what, why, how and when in the body and include a conclusion or summary at the end. I then proceed to explaining each bullet points concisely - I will expand upon these in my speech.

I think Visual Aids are mandatory!
I also think that you should have fun with visual aids, again, depending on the audience. When I make a presentation to the Senior Team of the company, I am a bit more serious that if the audience is the general employee population.

One other tip I have learned over the years - give your speech to someone that does not understand the topic for proofing. I can not and will not proof my own work - I will always 'read into' my own material and think that it is fine!